Friday 4 January 2008

Calne By-election Nominations Close Today

Today, at noon, nominations closed for the Calne Town Council Lickhill Ward by-election, due to take place on Thursday 31st January and I am sure it will come as no surprise that I will be standing in this election. I spent Wednesday night discussing tactics with the local BNP campaign team completing the paperwork and obtaining the required signatures for my nomination. Yesterday lunch-time I met with Mike Howson, Mid West Regional Organiser, to deliver our paperwork and as always we were met by a friendly and helpful representative of the North Wilts District Council elections team, who confirmed our nomination was valid, this being confirmed by post today.

Details of all of those successfully nominated and therefore standing in the election are:-

Glenis Ansell - Liberal Democrats

Robert Baggs - British National Party

Ellie Bland - United Kingdom Independence Party

Geoff Brown - The Green Party

Gregg Widger - Conservative.


I was hoping that my name would be first alphabetically so I would appear on the top of the ballot sheet but I won't lose too much sleep over that! All, but the name of the Conservative candidate are familiar to me but I wish all candidates the very best of luck.

For anyone interested, I intend to update my blog on a daily basis, where practical to do so, reporting back on the events as they happen in the campaign. I really hope this will be a campaign about the issues and a campaign free from external interference from those who do not believe in democracy, as this is a campaign about, and for, the people of Lickhill Ward, Calne, no-one else. I intend to run a fair campaign, but will not idly sit back and let others play dirty, so I trust the other candidates feel the same as me.

The local press were pretty hot off the blocks for this one, as I arrived home to a voice message left on my phone at 3.03pm from Lucy Buckland of the Wiltshire Gazette. I rang Lucy back and she advised me she was phoning all candidates for a few personal details together with reasons why they were standing for council. At least I answered the most difficult question I will have to face during this campaign and that was my age (48, by the way!)

I also said that being born and bred and growing up in North End, Calne I was well placed to understand the history of the town and in particular the Lickhill Ward area. I also told her that having lived in Calne for the last 12 years, after living away for the previous 12 years working as a civil servant attached to the armed forces, and also now working in the town I had the best interests of the people of Calne at heart and have much affection for the area.

As the campaign progresses and the BNP team travel around the area distributing leaflets and visiting local people, more details of why I am standing will emerge. We have already had a very positive response from those who were very keen for us to stand and I am sure this is a very good sign.

If anyone wants to know more then please drop me a line at:-

PO Box 3275, Calne, Wiltshire, SN11 8WJ

or contact me directly (if you don't know how to, then send a comment via this blog - all comments are sent to my email address for moderation, so if you send me any personal details I will ensure they do not appear on this blog).

Anyway, there is work to be done, so let the campaign begin!

No comments: