Tuesday 29 January 2008

Campaigning In Calne

Thanks again to my election team consisting of BNP Regional Organiser Mike, Chris, Mark, Michael, Paul, Richard and Tris with particular thanks to Councillor Mick Simpkins who took time out from his busy schedule to come across from Corsham to support the campaign. A lot of work was done today distributing my election address and it was good to meet so many supporters as we swept across Calne's Lickhill ward in the last but one day before polling day.

One of my concerns in Calne and why I am pushing for an increased police presence is because of the anti-social behaviour that occurs across the town. Whilst campaigning today a young "lady" came out of her house to remonstrate with members of our team. This wasn't to debate our policies but to spout foul-mouthed abuse at them. Now I can understand if she doesn't agree with our policies but then she has a choice other than to resort to such behaviour and that would be to put our leaflet in the bin or to go out and vote against us on Thursday. I would be interested to know if this young "lady" is on the electoral roll and also whether she bothers to vote on Thursday, but I doubt we'll see her. Our team ignored her and walked away as there is no point in even attempting to debate with such people. It was interesting to note that within minutes of closing her door a red "J" registered car arrived with 4 black gentlemen inside who had obviously arrived to intimidate and harass our team who, to avoid any confrontation, consequently walked away to work in another area. I wonder if the other parties encountered this sort of harassment. Although unsettling, this negative experience was soon countered by several positive thumbs up and toots from passing motorists.

Once we had decided that we had done enough work the rain started so it was back to my place for a very welcome cup of tea from the ladies in our team and a sit down with feet up for a few minutes!

The rest of the evening was spent catching up on the days news and weather and I was disappointed to see that the forecast for polling day on Thursday is not good with the possibility of snow. Not a good sign as this affects voter turnout, although I would encourage everyone who can to come out and use your vote as it takes but minutes to do so.

Next it's bed time and if I don't sleep like a log tonight I would be very surprised!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Robert, fingers crossed for you. Did UKIP win an election or get unopposed as i believe this is a ukip seat you are fighting for