Wednesday 9 January 2008

Electioneering In Calne And Mr Angry

Another good evening out and about with the team leafleting Calne Lickhill Ward and grateful thanks go to Alex, Dave, Richard as we managed to get around at least a good third of the ward. It was pretty quiet but one of the handful of people we met on the way looks like becoming a member as well as being a definite voter, so thanks go to him.

The only negative point so far in this election campaign was today as I received a letter at the PO box from Mr Angry complaining that his mother-in-law received info from us. The writer asked a question in his letter but asked that neither his mother-in-law nor himself received any further communication from the BNP, which is fine and I will not waste valuable funds in doing so. The answer to his question, however, is that if a name appears on the electoral register we must assume that as a potential voter the person will be receiving leaflets from all parties so why not the BNP?

Anyway let's move on to some trivia and the word of the day today is BIGOT. The definition I found on the internet is "One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ" and I most definitely am NOT talking about me, just in case any anti-BNP readers were under any illusion that this was the case.

Moving on, perhaps someone would care to answer some questions for me about American politics. Does anyone understand how their electoral process works? Does anyone here in the UK actually care? Why do the UK media need to report the long and tedious and frankly boring process in their headlines? I suppose I am a little interested who the next president might be, but please, why do we need to know the outcome of the primaries and whatever else they call the various stages?

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact the USA see us as the 51st state and the media here think it important to nurture this "friends across the pond" relationship. Whichever, I again think that the average Brit cares not a jot about what happens across the pond in the same way that the yanks care not a jot about we Brits. I think that their fool of a president, George (or it Basil?) Bush see us, in Grand Britain or the Unified Kingdom, or whichever Bush-ism he refers to us as, only for our strategic value. I am so pleased I have been out tonight so that I haven't seen any news coverage. I had fish and chips from our traditional chippy, Mr Wang, earlier for my tea and I wouldn't want to see it again tonight!

God Bless America (oh, and Mr Angry, of course)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope your campaign goes well Robert; and culminates in success.

Robert Baggs said...

Thanks for your good wishes NB - I thought it best to take out your contact details.

We'll do our best.

Robert

Anonymous said...

As an USA citizen and political junkie I find information on the UK political system highly interesting of course the US media doesn't give any intellegent coverage to the UK political situation (nor to the USA situation for that matter) which is why I look places like the BNP web site. I also spend quite a bit of time studying the Australian and New Zealand political scene. I think all of us who are interested in maintaining our national soverenty and stopping the diversity parade that theatens to turn our respective countries into third world hell holes need to learn everything we can from each other on how best to stop the internationalist globalization of our contries. I have been very impressed with the BNP and their way of presenting what they believe. I wish we had a political party in the USA that could have the same leval of professionalism standing for our national interest.