Saturday 13 October 2007

Drive Carefully!

Well, many thanks to the fool who took the wing mirror of my car early evening yesterday. I’m sorry that the road was only wide enough to get a tank through particularly as my car was half parked on the path, so perhaps your car was wider than a tank. Not to worry though the glass was smashed so if the driver of the other car, or tank, is superstitious he will get 7 years bad luck or is it 6? Whatever it is, enjoy them. Perhaps the driver was very late for his opticians appointment…

Anyway, the football has just improved the weekend with a 3-0 win for England over Estonia. Good first half but it really should have been as Estonia are but one of the multitude of countries that resulted from the break-up of the old Soviet Union. The second half was dire. Why is it that once England know they have won they ease up? Wouldn’t it have been better to continue playing as they were and win 6-0? Perhaps they had felt their money had been earned, there seems no other incentive these days. Sadly, long gone are the days when footballers were just proud to play for their country irrespective of the financial reward. To see real guts and detrmination I will be watching the rugby, bring on the Froggies!

I’m sure the postal workers wouldn’t mind their annual salary being anything like the sum the England footballers received for their match today. I’m not sure where I stand on the postal strike as I believe the Post Office is an institution that should not be lost, but by striking, the postal workers are not gaining any sympathy with the general public and they need that sympathy. However, despite the strike I ordered an item from Amazon on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday so it seems the postal service isn’t suffering too much as a result of their industrial action.

I suppose that to get a job as a postman you respond to advertisements in the local paper or job centre. I often wonder how people manage to get jobs like, for example, the man who holds the stop / go sign at roadworks, or the lady who puts the egg in those pork pies with eggs in the middle (sorry, don’t know what they’re called). One job I would like to apply for is as one of the 1,000 people taking part in the "citizen's summit" that is going to take place next year to help decide a new definition of British values. Apparently Justice minister Michael Wills said the panel will be chosen to be representative of the public at large and will be able to take evidence from witnesses during its deliberations. Who will these people be and what will they talk about? Do British people need a "statement of British values"? What will it be used for? Well, the summit to discuss this will also decide how the statement will be used across the country and what values it will contain. A representative of that summit will go to Parliament and Parliament will have a final say on it. That has given me even less confidence in the usefulness of this process as obviously it will be nothing more than a Labour government gimmick. Anyway, we wouldn’t want to leave it to any old Tom, Dick or Harry to decide, would we? As long as the Government has the final say it is bound to be a wonderful document, I'm sure!

I have already decided that if they don’t ask me I will pay no heed to it. I am British and I was born and bred in Britain at a time when we grew up understanding what it meant to be polite and honest and how to respect others. There, you don’t need a summit now, job done. I wonder how much the summit will cost? I could save the Government loads of money.

I suspect, however, this process is nothing more than an attempt to further indoctrinate our society with multiculturalism and to show how we value everyone living in this country and how all-inclusive we are with all of us "being British". I will leave it to you to wait and see if there is any news coverage of this summit. If there is, have a look at the faces of those participating and decide whether or not it representative of the community in which you live and whether or not this statement of British values is truly what we would expect it to be.

Now for the rugby....

No comments: