Monday 24 December 2007

BNP Go To Glastonbury

This time of year is an exciting time for most people as families gather to celebrate Christmas. The traditional Christmas meal, the carols and the exchange of presents tend to be highlights of the day. The only negative aspect of the period is the fact that it occurs in the “bleak mid-winter” and although snow seems to be longed for at this time for the perfect Christmas scenery, it can also present problems not least for our mental state when longing for some warmth.

I don’t, however, think I would like the Australian version of Christmas, where they eat their Christmas dinner on the beach, but it would be pleasant to think of warmer and more summery times. Consequently to help conjure up that summery feeling I thought I would hark back to the lazy, hazy days of summer when the BNP went to Glastonbury.

Back in June, as I have been doing for many a long year now, I packed my ruck-sack, tent and sleeping bag and trundled off to the Glastonbury festival. The festival is much different to what it was when I first went back in 1979, when only several days prior to the festival taking place I decided to attend. I thought I would initially check to see if there were any tickets available and my first port of call was to check the telephone directory to see if there was a number listed for Worthy Farm in Pilton, the site for the festival. Fortunately there was and I rang the number. The phone was actually answered by Michael Eavis, the owner of the farm and the organiser of the festival, who advised me to just turn up and get a ticket on the gate. In more recent times the ticketing arrangements have been handled by an agency with a highly convoluted system for obtaining tickets. Despite all of this we managed to obtain tickets this year and managed as always to see some great bands, highlights over the years are many and have included The Only Ones, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, The Darkness and this year, The Who.

The festival is about more than just the music though, you can actually attend the festival and have plenty to do without even seeing a band, some of the events taking place in the open air and others under cover. This year more time was spent under cover than not as the weather was actually not summery at all as it pretty much poured with rain the whole weekend. I think the picture below, taken from inside a tent illustrates this quite well!

At the festival one of the areas I make a point of visiting every year is the Left Field, this is actually a very big tent with a stage in one end and many politically orientated and trade union stalls arranged along the sides. The name of the tent actually gives away the leanings of those that are to be found within, but my particular interest is to see how much anti-BNP activity goes on to provide some indication of how much of a threat to their cosy little world they see us to be. This year I was pleased then to see that they found us to be a very big threat indeed! The next picture shows me having a good look at one of the stalls, I think this was the Unite against Fascism one, as I seem to recall that fine example of British man-hood, Weyman Bennett being present (at the back in the corner) and I was pleased to see he was spittle -free. I am the one at the front of the stall incidentally, though you may have deduced that already. You might think, from this photo, that they were doing great business but remember that the weekend was notable for the amount of rain that fell.

Despite this however, and the fact that a tent would be a good place to shelter in the circumstances, together with the added bonus that there was a band on as well, you might think the tent would have been bursting at the seams. Well, there you would be quite wrong and to illustrate what a spent-force UAF and all of the other pitiful anti-BNP organisations are, just have a look at the picture below – not exactly heaving is it?

Well, there you go, there should be nothing stopping us should there?

So, on that note, I will wish all readers a very happy Christmas and ask that you spare a thought at this time for those of us who are less fortunate than others and also remember those here who are no longer with us. Merry Christmas!

No comments: